Friday, July 1, 2011

Summertime Memories

"its been a long time, we shouldn't of left you, without a dope beat to step to..." or a fabulous blog for you all to read...  our apologies...

when i woke up this beautiful july 1st morning, i was hit by memories of the summers i spent as a child.  oh how i loved and still love the summertime... how can you not?

i remember as a child participating in the 4th of july parade, decorating my bike with streamer and balloons in hopes to win the best decorated bike award, i don't think i ever really won, but that was ok, because in the races in my age group, i always placed;-)  i loved that my cousins from chicago would come up and we'd eat ice cream and cracker jack...  my parents even had a pig roast, i mean they had the actual pig on a stick, just turning over the fire and although i don't eat pork anymore, that is still part of my fond memories of being a kid in the summertime...

i got to ride my bike all day long, we went swimming and my favorite.... camping at devil's lake, i loved packing up in my neighbor's station wagon and singing all the way the there.  and how my dad would drive all crazy on snake drive and we'd just laugh, partly out of fear and partly because it was just so exciting.  we'd throw frogs at each other, make smores over the camp fire and catch tadpoles in the lake...  and we'd also go camping with the family and my dad and my uncles would always tell the same scary story over the camp fire and even though they always told it, we'd still always be sacred and scream...  was it "scary bones or dirty bones"?... man if only i could remember....


and when we weren't at devils lake or camping with the family, we'd be in summer camp and oh how i loved summer camp and soccer camp and staying up late and most of all... NO SCHOOL!!!  i loved the sleep overs with my friends and family.

going to summerfest and standing on the picnic table listening to mint condition perform "pretty brown eyes", thinking he was talking about me and my brown eyes, ahhhhh...  oh the joys of summertime.

its different now that i'm older, but the love is still there....  summertime!  what are your favorite summertime memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment